Monday, December 04, 2006

The Great Success Gets Even Longer

(From the Terza Rima epic-in-progress: "The Triumph of Strife")

The Great Success again has now returned
Although some reinforcements wouldn’t hurt
The lives of thousands it has wrecked and burned

Yet still its praises he will blindly blurt
The facts of failure we refuse to face
To mask them he will hide the bloody shirt

Our shameless leaders bask in their disgrace
With sophistry and slogans on their smiles
Our doubts about their wisdom they displace

With woeful waffling wrought with wicked wiles
They bathe in money from their crony friends
And then misplace the records and their files

"Forgetting" where it starts and where it ends
Amnesia saves corruption from amends


Michael Murry, "The Misfortune Teller," Copyright 2006

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Just wondering...do you also play any instruments? I love your prose and the verses are something else as well. Can't help imagining musical accompaniment though I must confess I have no skills with instruments and haven't ever tried actually composing music. I do enjoy singing and dabble as a DJ. An unschooled musicologist if you will.
So...if you are also a songwriter it would be great to hear any MP3 files you felt like posting...hint, hint. If you don't write songs I'm here to suggest you explore that medium.
Anyway, thanks for writing.

Chris

12:14 AM  
Blogger Michael Murry said...

Thank you for the kind words, Chris. And to answer your query, yes, I do own four electric guitars and my mother's electronic organ. I've even started converting our basement into a music room where I can make all sorts of nerve-wracking noises without upsetting the neighborhood and forcing the Taiwanese government to revoke my alien residence status. I don't know that I would call what I do with these instruments "music," but my Chinese wife says I ought to keep at it since my lack of any artistic drawing skills rules out a career as a political cartoonist.

Mike

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home